Glaucoma has been referred to as the silent thief of sight as a result of its onset could be so gradual that you could be not discover modifications in your imaginative and prescient till the illness is in its later levels. About 3 million individuals within the U.S. have glaucoma. Half of these individuals do not know they’ve the situation.
How glaucoma impacts your imaginative and prescient
Glaucoma is a gaggle of eye circumstances that damages the optic nerve, which sends visible info out of your eye to your mind and is significant for good imaginative and prescient. Damage to the optic nerve usually is said to high pressure in your eye.
There are six frequent forms of glaucoma:
- Open-angle is the most typical kind. There are not any signs within the early levels, however patchy blind spots could start showing in your aspect or peripheral imaginative and prescient. In later levels, these blind spots have an effect on your aspect imaginative and prescient.
- Acute angle-closure glaucoma could be marked by extreme complications, eye ache, blurred imaginative and prescient, halos or coloured rings round lights, eye redness and nausea.
- Normal-tension glaucoma does not have signs within the early levels, and there’s no indication as to why the optic nerve is broken regardless of regular pressure. Peripheral imaginative and prescient decreases and aspect imaginative and prescient could be misplaced.
- Pigmentary glaucoma signs embrace halos round lights, blurred imaginative and prescient with exercise and loss of aspect imaginative and prescient. It can have an effect on younger, healthy people who find themselves nearsighted.
- Glaucoma additionally happens in youngsters, together with infants. Babies could have uninteresting or cloudy eyes, elevated blinking and tears with out crying. Older youngsters could expertise blurred imaginative and prescient, nearsightedness that will get worse and complications.
- Pseudoexfoliative glaucoma is extra frequent in individuals from northern Europe. White, powdery deposits can kind on the lens and iris of these affected by any such glaucoma.
Who is in danger for glaucoma?
Anyone can get glaucoma, however African Americans over age 40, all individuals over age 60 and people with a household historical past of glaucoma or diabetes are at increased danger.
After cataracts, glaucoma is the main explanation for blindness amongst African Americans, who’re six to eight instances extra prone to get the illness than white individuals. African Americans additionally are likely to get glaucoma about 10 years ahead of different ethnic teams. That’s why it is essential for them to get a complete eye examination to test for glaucoma after age 35 or sooner if they’ve diabetes.
Risk components for African Americans embrace those that:
- Are over 40
- Are extraordinarily nearsighted
- Have diabetes
- Have high blood pressure
- Use steroids, comparable to these for controlling bronchial asthma, for a protracted time
Other ethnic teams, together with Hispanics and Asians, are also at higher danger for the illness.
In African Americans, genetic components could also be related to their increased prevalence of glaucoma, in addition to cultural components comparable to decrease charges of normal eye exams and fewer entry to imaginative and prescient care.
How glaucoma is detected
An everyday complete eye examination can detect glaucoma in its early levels earlier than important harm to the optic nerve happens. Your age and the presence of signs decide the frequency of eye exams.
Here’s the really helpful timing for having an eye fixed examination:
- Under age 40 — each 5–10 years
- Ages 40–54 — each 2–4 years
- Ages 55–64 — each 1–3 years
- Age 65 and older — each 1–2 years
Diagnosing glaucoma is not all the time simple, so your eye care skilled will have a look at many components earlier than making selections about your therapy. If your situation is difficult to diagnose or deal with, it’s possible you’ll be referred to a glaucoma specialist.
A typical complete eye examination contains 5 assessments that decide your eye health by:
- Checking the entire visual field, together with aspect and central imaginative and prescient.
- Evaluating the form and coloration of the optic nerve by dilating the pupil.
- Measuring the angle within the eye the place the iris meets the cornea.
- Measuring the inside eye pressure.
- Measuring the thickness of the cornea.
Treating and stopping glaucoma
If you’ve gotten glaucoma, the first therapy is prescription eye drops or laser therapy that may cease the situation from progressing and protect your imaginative and prescient. If you have been prescribed eye drops, make sure you take them even when you do not have signs.
While there is no treatment for glaucoma, you may take steps to forestall this situation, together with:
- Know your loved ones historical past. Since glaucoma tends to run in households, it’s possible you’ll want extra frequent eye exams.
- Schedule common eye exams primarily based in your age and signs.
- Wear eye safety, as a result of glaucoma could be brought on by a critical eye damage, particularly from sports activities, comparable to baseball or boxing.
Consider enrolling in a glaucoma clinical trial, particularly when you’re African American, to assist decide its causes and spur the event of recent therapies and applied sciences.
This article first appeared on the Mayo Clinic Health System blog.