“The children I’ve cared for and heard about at our hospital all recovered,” mentioned Dr. Lois Lee, an affiliate professor of pediatrics and emergency drugs at Harvard Medical School. “But some had to be hospitalized for treatment and monitoring. And others were in the emergency department for hours, while their parents waited for them to improve enough so they could be safely discharged home.”
What must you do in case your little one has eaten hashish?
If you imagine that your little one may need ingested hashish, name Poison Control to talk with somebody immediately, Dr. Lee mentioned.
Poison Control also can advise you as to when it’s mandatory to hunt medical care.
If your little one has extra extreme signs — for instance, she or he is vomiting, seizing, having hassle respiratory or not waking up — it’s best to go straight to the emergency room, the place the medical doctors can run toxicology checks and supply oxygen and different remedies if wanted, Dr. Lee added.
“Many children don’t require any substantial treatment, just observation until they wake up,” she mentioned.
How are you able to defend kids from unintentional ingestion?
First, don’t assume that child-resistant packaging alone will forestall a decided little one from eating your edibles.
“Parents and caregivers should always store cannabis products, especially edibles, safely out of reach of children,” Dr. Whitehill mentioned. “Kids are really clever and some kids just get into everything, so actually locking it away — the way one would do with certain medications — is a good idea.”
“Locked is best, if possible,” agreed Kaitlyn Brown, the medical managing director of the American Association of Poison Control Centers. “Parents think they have something up on top of the fridge, completely out of reach, out of sight, and the next thing they know their 2-year-old is a climber and is scaling the counter.”